Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunday Afternoon at the NICU

This afternoon I went with Amy to see Natalie in the NICU, where I was able to hold Natalie for about a half hour.  Last night they took the oxygen sensor off of her leg, as they are no longer concerned about her breathing.  When we got there the NICU south wing closed for about a half hour, preventing us from seeing her for a while.  Occasionally it will close unexpectedly for a number of reasons including when a new baby arrives. 

I was able to go to church, where I talked to several friends about Natalie.  A lot of people ask about Natalie and mention to us that they are praying.  I don’t think I could count the number of people who have said they are praying for or have friends that are praying for Natalie.

Other developments:

  1. I think Amy had a really rough morning.  She stayed home to recover, and I think several things combined to make her very depressed. 
  2. Zach and Julia spent the afternoon with Andrew and Evan Hempe, two of Zach’s close friends.  When we picked them up we had a good time talking with Chris and Melanie about Natalie and other stuff. 
  3. I feel like we are beginning to catch up from a very hard week.  Today we were able to read through Zach’s school papers (he had a report card and a ‘reading meeting’ we missed).  Zach’s teachers sent two folders of papers home with him, one labeled ‘important-please read’ and another labeled ‘secondary importance.’
  4. Amy is planning to go downtown everyday next week, and I will join her on Monday, Saturday and Sunday.  We have had several people offer to give us rides and/or watch the kids.  This is very helpful as Amy will not be able to drive for the next week and a half. 

No comments:

Post a Comment