Friday, January 21, 2011

Breathing Tube Out

My first time to enter stuff into the blog so we’ll see how it goes…

Went to the NICU after Zach and Julia left with David for bedtime.  Lack of sleep caught up with me once we knew the surgery was over so I finally got a nap most like in mid-sentence to David!  Slept a lot today thinking they were going to call us down to the NICU when she was ready. 

Zach and Julia came for dinner and a movie.  They were so excited to see me and, of course, hormonal me cried when I saw them.  They had pizza a friend had brought us and we found some ice cream in the Maternity Ward freezer that the nurses let us have.  We watched the ‘Princess Bride’ for what seems the 100th time since last month.  I ended up falling asleep right away and they watched the whole thing.  I wheeled out with them and then went to the NICU.

I have expected twice the amount of equipment hooked up to her as this morning so wasn’t sure she was our baby or not.  The breathing tube had been removed and she’s naked again under a temperature lamp so they can observer her stomach.  She seemed smaller to me but they hadn’t weighed for the night yet.  She was down to 5 lbs 12 oz yesterday but since her neighbor is only 2 lbs she’s still weighing in as one of the ‘big’ girls in the south wing.

I couldn’t pick her up yet but I was able to get my face close enough to hers that her hand was brushing my chin a bit.  I sang to her and she opened her eyes in what seemed to be her telling me an opinion of my voice.  Still looking for a special song for her.  I’ve used hymns before for the other kids but wanted a song that fit her life and name so far.  Hope to find some inspiration at home.

I was only there about 1/2 hour and came back up to pump.  My milk is very close to coming in so I think each day it will get a little better.  They think she’ll start with a teaspoon of what I’ve been able to pump in about 5 or so days once the intestine is working and she starts delivering us dirty diapers.  Can’t wait to change that one!

I’m set to go home tomorrow afternoon and we’ll start the challenge of getting me back here.  Still in a bit of pain and stiff from the C-section but getting better all the time.  Thank you so much for all the offers of help.  Right now, we’ve able to stay on top of things only 1 day a head of time so hopefully, we’ll start figuring out next week soon.

Amy

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy, (This is from Katie Miller, not my husband)
    Sent your husband a (long) message on Facebook. I love your message today and I feel like I have totally fallen in love with Natalie, I am sure I am not the only one. Thank you for posting these! We would love to have Julia come over one day after school. I can pick her up with Connor, but would just need a carseat. If you are interested, I will try to coordinate. Glad you are able to leave the hospital soon. I know it will hard leaving without Natalie Grace, but she is in the best care possible and is in really great hands! In all are in my prayers constantly!

    ReplyDelete