Friday, January 28, 2011

Natalie drinks her first milk.

I am rather tired today, we had a production issue at work that lasted all day.  Allow me to summarize the day’s events:

  1. Natalie had her first taste of milk today.  She drank 5 CCs, about one teaspoon.  She was very hungry, and had been sucking the pacifier very hard.  Both Amy today and Jill last night said she had gas, another sign that her GI track was working. 
  2. Amy feed her by bottle at 2, and the nurse feed her at 5.  It took only about 5 minutes to eat.
  3. They are not counting the 5 CCs toward her nutrition for the day, but are still giving her TPN intravenously.  They will not stop feeding her intravenously until she is drinking more milk.
  4. Her feeding schedule has been set to 2, 5, 8, 11 (repeat am and pm).
  5. Her weight was 5# 13 oz yesterday, but today was 6 lbs.
  6. The resident doctor came by at 10 am.  She was very positive about her progress. 
  7. Jill spent most of the day driving Amy and the kids around.  She drove Amy with Julia downtown, dropped Amy off, and went back to our house (after stopping at HT).  She then picked up Zach (with Julia), picked up Amy, took her to her office, dropped Amy off again, took the kids to Chick-Fil-A, and came back to the Hospital.  Finally she took the everyone home, where she made gluten free peanut blossom cookies.  Phew! 
  8. We have had a number of meals this week.  Todays came from Amy’s office, and includes among other good food some very good chocolate cake.  Thanks everyone!

I think today was a very hard day for Amy and I.  Although Amy was excited earlier that Natalie was eating, it made her wonder how quickly Natalie is progressing, and how much Down’s will slow her progress.  We both find ourselves wondering what our child will be like in the future.  How quickly will Natalie develop?  Will it take longer for her to walk, talk, become potty trained?  I want my children to be happy, healthy, strong and successful at whatever they do.  Will I need to adjust my dreams for Natalie, or will I be able to have similar dreams for her?  What does this mean for my future?  What does it mean for our finances?  Selfishly, I saw my kids as becoming more self-sufficient, and was hoping I would have more freedom as they grow up.  I am afraid I will loose some of the freedom I was anticipating.  Some of these seem to be very selfish thoughts.

We have a lot of unanswered questions, but we are trying to take this one day at a time.  For now I have to trust in the Lord that he will provide answers to these questions, although it may take a lifetime. 

Amy has been painting the nursery for Natalie and put the following verse on her wall. Right now I am holding on to this verse. 

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare2 and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment