Friday, January 21, 2011

Natalie’s stomach surgery went well

Natalie had her surgery this morning at 9:30 to fix the her duodenal atresia.  We were able to see her in the NICU before they took her into the operating room.  I was able to hold her for the first time she was born, I feel like that has helped me to bond with her a little bit.  The nurses then put her in an incubator and carefully rolled her down the hall to the OR, where we were met by the anesthesiologist and several OR nurses.  They took Natalie to the OR after we  said goodbye. 

After she went to the OR, we went up to the room to wait and catch some sleep.  I have been feeling very tired and nauseous at times, but I am beginning to think it is just because of the stress.  The sleep really helped me to feel better. 

At about 11:00, they called us and asked us to come down to the OR waiting room.  After about a half hour, the surgeon, Dr. Morton, came and told us everything went well.  He said there were ‘no surprises.’    

Natalie was taken back to the NICU where she will be in recovery for the next couple of days.  She is being intubated for the time being until they think she is no longer in pain.  She is in a lot of pain right now.  The medicine they give her to take away her pain could cause her to stop breathing if she was not intubated. 

Other developments:

  1. It could take one to two weeks before they are able to put a feeding tube down her throat.  At the moment she has a tube down her throat into her stomach that is vacuuming bile out.  The liquid is a dark green color.  When the liquid turns clear, she will be able to start eating.  That could take anywhere from one to two weeks. 
  2. I think the next couple weeks will be difficult while we try to get back and forth to the Hospital.  Amy will not be able to drive for the next 2 weeks.  I could take her one way to or from the hospital, but I don’t know know what we can do with the kids.
  3. Right now, Natalie has a number of tubes in her: ET tube for the venerator, PIC/PCVC line in her foot which runs up to one of main arteries though which she is getting nourishment, and a couple of IVs.  She also has a Replogle tube down her throat to suction the bile out of her stomach.   
  4. Amy thinks we are in the worst room on our floor.  It is the smallest, with two storage closets next door, not to mention the Helicopter that lands every so often.  However she thinks the staff have been Great, and I agree.  
  5. We have been shuffling the kids to and from school, Grandpa’s house, our house, and to other’s houses over the last few days.  My sister has been a big help in taking care of the kids, and we have had several people offer to pick up the kids for school and play-dates.  We want to give a big THANKS to those that have helped with them.  We may not be able to take advantage of all of the offers, but they all are very appreciated.  Mostly though I think Zach and Julia miss Mom and Dad.  They are coming up to the room tonight to see us, eat pizza and watch a movie.  I will go home with the kids tonight and rest at home. 

We continue to covet your prayers.  At the moment we are just taking things one day at a time, but at some point we will need to think about some of the practical issues of raising a downs child.  We are trying not to worry about that today.  Those who know me know I can be very anxious, however by God’s grace I have not been.  I believe God is giving me peace and has been our “strength in times of trouble.”  It feels like there is many struggles ahead of us that we cannot begin to fathom.  Because the future is so hard to see, right now I can only trust God for the future.

Thanks again to everyone that has been praying for us and helping us!  Thanks to everyone who comments via FB, twitter, and email.  I won’t be able to respond often but we seem them, and they encourage us.   

No comments:

Post a Comment