Monday, January 24, 2011

Natalie Poops!

When we came in to the NICU this morning we had great news. Natalie had pooped!  Sounds funny, but that means her stomach is starting to process food (not that she is eating anything).  In addition the liquid being pumped out of her stomach have gone from dark green to yellow.  This indicates that bile from her gal bladder is starting to go down through the intestines rather than staying in the stomach, hence the poop (Ok, I just like saying poop).  When only clear fluid comes out of her stomach, she should be ready to start eating.  This seems to be going ahead of schedule: we were told it may be a week before she is able to eat.  It may still be that long, but it seems a little earlier than we expected.

This morning she pulled her stomach tube out of her mouth for the second time, she did so last night as well when Jill visited her.  This is not a big deal so long as it is put back,  however it is encouraging that she is strong enough to fight a little bit.

While we were there, the team of doctors came around for their daily status meeting.  The went over the following:

  1. The diaper and stomach contents.
  2. Her bilirubin count had increased from 13.2 a couple of days ago to15.2.  I believe the ‘TPG’ that is going into her blood stream can cause a higer bilirubin count.  They did not seem to concerned about this, but they want to keep an eye on this and test in a couple of days.  Amy noticed that she does look a little more yellow than previous.  She has gained a little weight, up to 6.0 oz, which was a little higher than a couple of days ago.   
  3. The nurse mentioned a speech therapist will come by to evaluate Natalie.  Not for speech but for her ability to swallow food. 
  4. It is possible that because she is a pre-me, she will likely take smaller volumes of milk when she does start to eat.  She will likely have difficulty adjusting to eating as she is currently not eating, but is nourishing 

Amy is starting to get a good amount of milk, but she will has to get up a couple times a night.  (Can’t help her there!)  She is planning on going to the NICU everyday as possible.  Thanks to Christ Covenant and Elana Shannon who put a schedule together, people are signing up quickly to take her. 

I am planning on going back to work on Tuesday, God willing.  I have been out for a week and a day, but I think I am ready to return. 

I am not speaking for Amy, but it feels to me like thing have started to get  back into a rhythm.  No doubt over the next month I’ll have a lot of days where I cry a lot, however somehow everything feels a little better now.  In part it may the somewhat consistent schedule we are starting to fall into.  It may be the distance we have between us and the Hospital.  Or it may be the encouragement I have received from others.  Part of this is no doubt the peace I feel in relationship to God:  I feel that somehow God has given us Natalie so that He may be glorified by Greatly Blessing us through her.  I don’t know what the future holds, but for the moment I am able to say “it will be all-right.”  I believe saying this may be my coping method.  I guess I am either in denial, or am just coping in my own way.  Time will tell.  Either way at the moment I feel I am ready to trust His plan for us and her.  No doubt I will waver in this feeling as the days go forward.

Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Amy and David - I am continuing to pray for you guys daily. I can't wait to meet Natalie some day! I absolutely agree with you David - this little girl is going to bring great glory to the Lord as well as great blessing to you and so many others!!! Mary Ann Nelson

    ReplyDelete