Thursday, March 10, 2011

A GREAT Thursday

A friend of my mom’s once said how she liked to look at trials with anticipation of seeing what amazing thing God was going to do next.  I usually find that is SO hard to do when I’m in the middle of a trial but I can say when Natalie was born, that thought came to mind and I hoped I would be able to see how God was glorified through her.  Though I may not every know why He chose to do it this way, I do know that God is working in Natalie’s life.

Natalie had a great day.  So much different than last Thursday!  David drove us to the hearing test downtown at 8 am.  I sat in the back seat trying to keep Natalie awake.  She needed to sleep through the hearing test so we had to make sure to keep her awake as much as possible.  I started off with a squeaker toy in her ear and it quickly escalated to ice cubes on her toes.  Not too much fun.  When we walked in the door to the testing facility, the eyelids were just too heavy.  In spite of snoozing a little early, she did pretty well.  The right ear tested fine and showed no extra fluid.  Natalie was a little more wiggly with the left ear.  Her left ear passed one type of test but failed in another.  The audiologist thinks it still could be fluid but wants to run more tests next week to see if there’s any problems with the organ itself.  I asked at what age hearing loss would effect her ability to learn to speak.  She said kids usually develop the same in the first 6 months in terms of speech with or without hearing loss.  So, we are scheduled for another 2 hour sleeping hearing test next Tuesday.  Tuesday is Julia’s birthday so I’m hoping the test will be on time and Natalie and I can make it to Julia’s class at the end of the day with birthday treats.

After the audiologist we went to the cardiologist with only a few minutes to spare.  I thought I’d have an hour or so to wait in between and even suggested driving David back home!  We waited quite a while at the cardiologist and when I could stand it no more, I finally asked for a room to pump in.  I had already missed a feeding time and was about to come up on another.  We got a room quickly and then they called us back to see the doctor.  Ugh!  I ended up pumping quickly anyway and left David with Natalie.  They did an EKG while I was gone and I got back just before the doctor came in.  He told us that the ‘holes’ we were told about were actually pinholes and that it was fairly typical for premature infants.  It had nothing to do with the Down’s syndrome.  He listened and suspected they were gone but we did and ultrasound just in case.  They are all closed up!  The doctor said we didn’t need to come back and that her heart was perfect!  What a huge praise!  Also, while we were there, the nurse weighed her with her diaper on.  She was 8 lbs!  Last week she was 7 lbs 10 oz at the lactation consultant’s office.  It could be the diaper and it could be the scales are off a little from each other but it looks like she’s gaining and possibly a lot.  We’ll have the official number on Monday when we see the pediatrician.

We’ll be decorating for Julia’s birthday this weekend then back to doctors on Monday and Tuesday.  Tuesday is her real birthday.  This is Julia’s year to not have a big party so I pray that we will still be able to make her feel special and for her to know how happy we are that she was born.

Thank you SO much to Melanie and Elana for picking up Zach and Julia today.  Please forgive me for my gross under-estimation of how long a doctor’s appointment would take!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment