Thursday, July 14, 2011

Starting Nutritional Research

DSC_20110712_123902So, I’m gathering lots of information lately on nutritional supplements.  Natalie has her 6 month checkups with the pediatrician and the geneticist next week so I’m hoping to ask a lot of questions.  I found a group called the Trisomy 21 Research Foundation that recommend the following supplements for Trisomy 21 patients:

1.NutriVene-D: to deal with the metabolic errors that occur in Down syndrome and does help decrease the incidence of infection and improve growth; secondarily, it helps improve muscle tone and the level of alertness

2. Vitamin D

3. DHA/EPA: Low DHA levels are associated with behavior problems in children. Specific behavioral (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder or ADHD) and learning problems have been shown to correlate significantly with low DHA levels.  DHA is correlated with improved mental and visual function in infants. Studies show that children who were breast-fed perform better on cognitive function tests later in life (by 5-9 IQ points) than those who were formula-fed

4. Ginkgo Biloba – to combat the overabundance of GABA, the neurotransmitter that tells the brain to stop

5. Longvida Circumin:  containing the natural antioxidant curcumin ; Longvida may significantly support cognition, memory, and general health

6. Probiotics- I’m assuming for Digestion- still researching

7. Piracetam (by prescription)- enhances cognition under conditions of hypoxia (lack of oxygen), enhances memory and some kinds of learning in non-disabled persons, makes oxidative stress less severe, returns fluidity to brain membranes that have undergone hardening from lipid peroxidation and allows for increased communication between the hemispheres of the brain

So, that’s what I’m starting with.  I was currently taking DHA and Ginkgo Biloba myself in hopes that she’ll get a little bit of it through my milk.  Ginkgo B does have some warnings about febrile seizures in children under 3 so I’ve quit taking that for now.  Hope to ask the doctors at least about the Nutrivene-D.  It is specifically formulated for Down’s Syndrome and seems a good place to start.

Also, the constipation pain is still on-going for Natalie.  Last Saturday was her most recent screaming session.  It was horrible.  30 minutes inconsolable crying until she got so worn out she fell asleep.   I had quiet a bit of milk products for David’s birthday dinner and thought I could just dump the milk that night.  After that night, I’ve stopped eating all dairy and am watching iDSC_20110708_125102ngredients in packaged foods as well.  I just keep seeing her little face in pain when I look at cheese and it’s kept me faithful.  No dairy seemed to be helping but as of today, it’s been since Monday that she was able to go last.  I did read that Serotonin can be low in Down’s Syndrome patients.  Serotonin produces peristalisis (rhythmic squeezing that moves food through the gut- sorry so graphic!).  So, I  started researching natural sources of serotonin.  Apparently, tryptophan has something to do with the body’s production of serotonin.  Turkey is  number one on the list!  We found a great turkey roast crockpot recipe this week.  Other items include:  tuna, salmon, cheese and bananas, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseed, flaxseed oil.  So, I’m trying to eat some of these foods too in the hope that it will help her.  A friend of my mother also recommended flaxseed oil so might go try and find that next.  We tried talking to the pediatricians’ nurse on call last night to see if we could give her Miralax before the pain started.  They told us no, we’d have to see the doctor first.  Will see how tomorrow goes and then call back again.

The broken AC is now running great so hopefuly I’m off to a good night’s sleep!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment